I run a small web and online marketing business in North Vancouver and Iâ€™m looking for local intern for three months, to transition into ongoing paid work.
QR Code Link to This Post
The objective is for you to become well-versed and capable of using the entire WordPress ecosystem - themes, plugins, and a range of 3rd party solutions - to efficiently and effectively build and manage high-quality, full-featured websites. This is not coding, and not graphic design, though knowledge of either/both is beneficial.
- Already quite familiar with WordPress, themes and plugins
- Extremely detail-oriented and process-driven in your approach
- Interested in learning a lot in a short time about all aspects of building websites
- Looking for real-world website design/build experience and a long-term opportunity
- Entrepreneurial-minded and want to play a role in a growing a business
The company is:
- Offering pro-grade websites, design, and marketing services to small businesses, mostly local
- Mostly me and a few contractors
- Growing with almost exclusively through referrals and client growth
- Ready for someone else to become our dedicated WP technician
- A 15-year WordPress enthusiast
- A marketing and communication specialist, and a graphic designer
- Committed to top quality work and have high but not-unreasonable quality standards
- Trying to grow the business slowly and sensibly
- An immersive, ~Â¾ time, 3-month paid internship (25-30 hr/wk)
- $250/wk honorarium
- The opportunity for a long-term job. At the end of 2 months, if itâ€™s a good match and we both agree to move forward, we will move to paid work at a competitive rate.
You will learn about:
- WordPress installations, hosting servers, domain configuration, SSL certificates, etc.
- Themes and child themes, page builders, demos, and theme settings
- Security, backup, caching and optimization plugins and configuration
- Google Search Console and Analytics, best practices for SEO
- Using a dashboard site and child plugins to remotely manage and update multiple sites
- The website development planning processes, including design and content collection with clients
- Best practices for page layout and design (columns, containers, elements)
- Responsiveness settings and mobile-friendly layouts
- Ecommerce (WooCommerce) set-up, plugin, and extensions
- Multi-language sites, advanced form building, embedding remote content, bulk-uploading, and more...
As well, you will gain first-hand insights into the realities of running a web design/build business, working with clients, marketing, project management, and other business skills.
We will work together online for most of the day, with steady communication, as a virtual online office. Flexibility with time/availability expected and afforded both ways but most workday hours on week days.
If youâ€™re interested in a fast-track approach to learning a lot about WordPress in a short time, and a job at the end of it, reply with a link to a CV or online portfolio, a description of yourself and your skills, and why you think this might be a good fit for you. No attachments, keep it brief, and shortlisted candidates will get more details and an interview.