Seeking a bankruptcy paralegal with a minimum of five years' experience preparing Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 petitions. This is a virtual position; however this is full-time W2 exempt salaried position that requires regular business hours (this can be somewhat flexible - i.e. 7-4, 8-5, 9-6 or 10-7). Virtual bankruptcy assistants with your own book of business - please do not apply - this is not a fit.
QR Code Link to This Post
You will perform the following functions:
1. Review and collect documents relating to consumer bankruptcy cases
2. Organize documents in Dropbox following the a pre-defined process
3. Maintain a checklist of documents
4. Correspond with debtors via email, text and phone for document collection and petition completion
5. Correspond with clients (attorneys and bankruptcy office staff)
6. Maintain notes and status' in Best Case following a pre-defined process
7. Prepare highly detailed Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 petitions in Best Case following a pre-defined process (meaning you may need to forget how you've done it in the past)
8. Hold a phone appointment with debtors to go over the details of the petition, fill in the missing information, leaving no section of the petition unturned
9. Draft a detailed synopsis' of the petition for the attorney, flagging any potential legal issues (but never giving legal advice to debtors)
10. File petitions electronically
11. Handle 35-40 petition preps per month (no post-petition aspect of the case)
12. Provide weekly status reports
1. Must have a paralegal certificate
2. Must have a minimum of 5 years' experience preparing Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 petitions
3. Must be professional, compassionate, understanding and upbeat when communicating with debtors, attorneys and staff
4. Must be patient and a good listener when dealing with debtors
5. Must be able to follow a process (not your process - the company's pre-defined process)
6. Must be highly detailed in a fast paced environment
7. Must be extremely organized and be able to reprioritize daily tasks and work within deadlines
8. Must have intricate working knowledge of Best Case, Excel, Adobe, Word and Outlook
9. Must have a home computer and dual screens (video camera helpful but not required)
10. Must be able to provide three references (not now but later in the process)
11. Must be able to travel to Long Beach monthly for lunch meetings (which could be on some Saturdays)
12. Must be a team player, committed to improvement, have a passion for satisfying clients, have integrity, be innovative and take initiative
13. Culture: work from home - must be highly self-motivated, disciplined and free from distractions in your home environment; no social environment or water-cooler talk except for weekly web meetings and monthly in person lunches and occasional lunches with clients and/or networking events.
Helpful but not required:
a. Speak Spanish
b. Prior experience in a large consumer bankruptcy firm
c. Experience preparing corporate debtor petitions
d. Fit body (makes for a fit mind)
When responding to this ad - put in the subject line - the general California exemption code (3 digits) you would use to exempt a residence with $50k plus equity.
When responding to this ad, you must answer these five questions in the body of your email and attached your resume (do not include a cover letter):
1. Can you deduct a non-filing spouse's student loan from the Means Test?
2. What is the formula to add numbers in columns in Excel?
3. Why do you want this position?
4. What are your professional goals?
5. What is one of your personal interests/hobbies?
6. What salary do you expect for this job?
Finally, complete an assessment test by going to this link: https://asmt.io/XCW63PNGC/BankruptcyParalegalJob-Assessment