QR Code Link to This Post
- Are you a Microsoft Server and Cloud guru?
- Would you like a flexible, remote, contract position?
- How about a mixture of system administration, end-user tech support, and architecture projects in which you get to collaborate with a small, passionate team?
If so, this may be the gig for you!
Ignition, Inc. (ignitionit.net) is one of the oldest I.T. consultancies in the San Francisco Bay Area. We've been around for 20 years. We're a small (8 people), boutique consultancy supporting small businesses and startups from 5 to 150 people in San Francisco and beyond.
We are seeking a Microsoft small-business Systems Administrator to supplement our team and support our customers.
This is a long-term, ongoing, flex-time position. We estimate a minimum of 5 hours per week, but possibly growing quickly to 10 and beyond.
Support requests and project needs will be escalated from our team to you -- sporadically, unpredictably, when needed. Frequency and quantity will vary from week to week.
Long-term, this could turn into a full-time remote administration, tech support, and account management position.
You'll need to be readily available to communicate with our team on weekdays, during Pacific Time, via Slack, email, and text message.
You'll also need to be available to work escalated support requests within 24 hours of the request submission, and collaborate and report back to our team's escalation point-of-contact. This might be our Tier 1 Help Desk, or it might be a senior team member.
You'll also sometimes interact directly with the client, as a representative of Ignition, via email, phone, videochat, and remote-control.
After-hours work will be occasionally (but not frequently) required, but almost always within planned maintenance windows.
REQUIRED SKILL SET AND EXPERIENCE
- Windows Server as applicable to small-business environments, especially strategies for managing and monitoring Active Directory
- Windows Server, Hyper-V, and VMWare ESXi management and backup strategies
- Hypervisor management and support, including iLO, iDRAC, firmware updates and patches
- Management of Azure IaaS instances
- Experience implementing Azure AD Premium
- Experience administering Office 365, both in on-prem AD environments as well as with Azure AD
- Topology design and implementation of AD DC replicas (both on-prem and Cloud-based)
- Familiarity with Datto, Continuum BDR, and/or Veeam is a plus
- Familiarity with RMM tools (especially Continuum RMM) is a plus
- Many years' experience providing end-user support on Windows 7 through 10, including deployment support
In addition to the above, these are really important:
- Take ownership of your responsibilities, even if you don't love them all the time.
- Document everything you do at work, and keep your docs up to date.
- Humbly accept that mistakes are great ways to learn.
- Care. About your loved ones, colleagues, customers, community, death row offenders, little puppy dogs, that stinky guy on the BART. Give a s**t.
- Desire to make a positive difference during your time on Earth.
- Love learning.
- Have a reading habit and an aptitude for communicating in writing.
- Be a natural optimist.
- Have a favorite joke.
- Ability to smell the difference between good and FANTASTIC customer service, and decry the former with a passion reserved only for the kind of Apple enthusiasts who save the packaging.
- Love learning!
- Be able to juggle a to-do list longer than Tolstoy's oeuvre.
- Create order out of chaos.
- Spell-check and grammar-check your writing.
- When you see things being done inefficiently, fix first, complain second.
- Get excited when total strangers ask you for directions on the street.
- Notice that we used the word oeuvre. And how funny it looks.
- LURV learning!
- Find this job posting funny [sic.]
1. Please send an informal letter telling us about yourself, your life story, your relevant work experience, and why you're seeking a position like this. We prefer longer and less formal, rather than shorter and more formal. Show us your speaking voice.
2. Please include your 1099 hourly rate.
3. Please also attach your resume.
Ignition, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We're committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Ignition are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by law and common decency. We won't tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Whomever you are, if this position sounds like a good fit, please apply.