QR Code Link to This Post
- We're looking for an experienced frontend web developer to help us launch a completely new version of our platform and build UI/UX that delights users.
- We're a fully remote work company, no central office for now, you can be located anywhere in the US.
- Payment is mostly in company stock, so you need to have a side hustle that allows you to spend 2-3 days per week without getting much cash until we're able to grow the revenue.
- We're looking for someone who is highly entrepreneurial and interested in joining a small team and eventually taking on founder levels of involvement, responsibility and leadership (along with commensurate equity).
- We're a fun, supportive, people-first team of idealistic pragmatists. No drama, no egos. We're selecting for kindness and mutual respect.
About Badge List
We're a startup trying to accelerate human learning on a global scale. In an increasingly networked world, knowledge is changing faster than ever and our global engine for generating and maintaining human expertise is outdated.
Badge List helps companies, schools and professional development organizations make skills visible and trackable by creating digital badges to represent them. Our platform is currently helping hundreds of organizations around the world recognize learning achievements, guide learners and develop more powerful languages of learning for their communities.
Now it's time to take our vision to the next level. We've designed a completely new version of our platform which will become a new type of social network designed to enable data-driven learning on a massive scale. To launch this new platform we need help. We're a very very small team right now and it's time for us to grow. That's where you come in.
What We're Looking For
- Familiarity with Component-Based UIs - We're a Google Polymer shop, so if you're already into Polymer that is super awesome. But if not, some level of experience with a similar model (like React or Angular) is heavily preferred.
- UI / UX / Design Skills - We're obsessed with smooth user experience and clean, attractive UI. Ideally you are great at taking complex workflows and breaking them down into highly streamlined user flows. If you can handle light design work, that's helpful too. If this isn't a huge strength area that's ok but we're looking for someone with at least an interest in the more design-focused aspects of front end development.
- Startup Experience - Ideally you've been in the startup world and are comfortable with the unique challenges required in early stage product development. If you haven't worked with a startup before but are incredibly excited to get a chance, that's fine too. If you have doubts about the startup life, if you're on the fence or if you're not interested in honing your business skills along with your technical skills, then this probably isn't the right role for you.
- Ok with Mostly Equity Payment - While we do have a revenue sharing plan in place, the amount of money you should expect to get from it is (for now) quite low. We are not funded yet, though that is definitely part of the plan. This role will get a significant amount of company stock options vested over a very aggressive timeline. But you'll need to be able to afford to spend at least 2 to 3 days per week on the company without receiving much in the way of cash. (The current team members all have side hustles.)
- Entrepreneurial - We're a super small team right now and we all have to wear a lot of hats. We are self-motivated, creative and scrappy. We're constantly having to solve new and unique problems. We love learning and are always working to improve ourselves and our crafts. In additional to our own areas of focus, we're also interested in startups in general, and we are all passionate about business strategy and how our skills fit into a broader market context. In order to succeed in this role you will need to thrive in this sort of environment. We're also looking for someone is who is prepared to take on a larger leadership role as the company continues to grow.
- Passionate About Learning - We are a learning company and we are, individually, people who really like to learn and share that learning with others. You need to be the type of person that gets fired up about the power of knowledge and the mission of making learning opportunities more accessible to people around the world.
- Fun to Work With - None of us are getting paid much (for now) and life is too short to have a crappy work life. We're a no-ego, no-drama, highly supportive kind of team and are looking for folks of a like mind.
What You'll Be Working On
- Migrating the Frontend App to Polymer - We've got a shiny new frontend stack built around Polymer-powered web components and ES6. But the bulk of the app is still running on Bootstrap 2 and being powered by Rails erb templates and lots of custom controller logic. Yuck. You'll help "migrate" all of the old views to the new model, which is to say you'll need to work with the technical cofounder to completely redesign each view basically from scratch, designing lots of new UI along the way and trying to keep everything simple and streamlined.
- Streamlining the UX - We're going to be investing a lot of time making all of the user flows in the app simpler, easier to understand and more joy-inducing.
- New Feature Development - Participate in agile sprints to drive development of new fixes and features.
- Building Frontend Test Coverage - Help build out test coverage for our Polymer components using Mocha, Chai and Sinon. Work towards continuous integration process for our frontend app.
- Developing Advanced PWA Functionality (Offline, Browser Notifications, etc) - Badge List is currently able to register itself as a progressive web app and utilizes a service worker to optimize load times, but there is so much more fun stuff to do!
- Launch Native Windows and Mac Apps (using Electron JS) - If you're not familiar, Electron JS is the turn-a-web-app-into-a-native-app framework which powers the Mac/Windows/Linux apps for Skype, Slack, Github, Atom, Visual Studio Code and many more tools.
If you think you might be a good fit, email [email protected] In the email please include the following:
Note: Badge List is committed to diversity and to creating equal opportunities for employment.
- A brief summary of your development experience
- A brief summary of your startup experience
- Your personal five year plan, expressed as a haiku (5-7-5 or not is up to you)