QR Code Link to This Post
American Heritage Publishing seeks a part-time web designer to help with the design and management of InnovationGateway.org (a new website for Invention & Technology Magazine), our main website (AmericanHeritage.com), and others in development.
IMPORTANT NOTES - PLEASE READ FIRST:
1. We need help in UX, UI, and DESIGN, not backend programming. We already have capable programmers who are working on the new website.
2. We are not looking for long-distance consulting. Please do not apply for this position if you are not able to come into our office occasionally. Don't waste your time and ours.
3. This position is probably best for a recent grad who is willing to work now at a modest hourly rate, with a good chance for full-time employment at market rates in a few months. We have a number of grant proposals submitted to major foundations for work over the next two years.
BACKGROUND ABOUT OUR WEBSITES:
We have three major websites in development. There is an enormous opportunity for the right webmaster. American Heritage Publishing is a distinguished, 65-year-old company that published American Heritage Magazine, the oldest and most respected magazine about American history. We relaunched the magazine in digital format last June. Its Drupal 8 website contains 10,000 digitized essays by famous historians. See http://www.americanheritage.com. The much-praised 60th Anniversary issue of American Heritage contained writing by 14 Pulitzer Prize-winning authors. For more information, see our press release at: "American Heritage Celebrates 60th Anniversary".
A prototype of our second website is at http://www.innovationgateway.org. This old prototype is Drupal 6 and needs to be upgraded to Drupal 8. It provides thousands of essays on innovation and is evolving into a system for STEM education. For 27 years, American Heritage published Invention & Technology, the only popular magazine in the US about the history of innovation and engineering. It explored and celebrated the inventive spirit with evocative stories about the men and women whose ingenious solutions transformed the fabric of our world, from Roman aqueducts to soaring bridges, from kitchen gadgets and video games to missions to Mars. Over the next year, we are relaunching the magazine in digital format and one printed issue, and creating a the website, the Innovation Gateway. Our content partners include the leading engineering societies (AIAA, ASCE, ASME, IEEE, etc.) who are providing hundreds of essays on the history of engineering.
Our third website, http://www.4score.org, will be launched over the next year. Fourscore is probably the most comprehensive system available for teaching U.S. History and Government, with nearly 10,000 resources for teaching -- American Heritage essays, primary historical documents, images and artifacts aggregated from archives and museums across the country. A panel of master teachers bundled materials together in collections of resources and suggested tasks that teachers can implement in the classroom.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF WEBMASTER
Experience & Required Skills
- Help manage the development of the new websites, which includes UX, UI, theme, creation of design elements, and style control.
- Be the primary contact person directing offshore programmers.
- Help manage our corporate website, AHSociety.org, including the CiviCRM system which manages our subscriptions and donations.
- Coordinate with the web editor on updating content as needed and enforce content standards using HTML & CSS.
- Monitor site traffic and site capacity through reports and analytics data.
- Provide support in implementing social media campaigns, YouTube videos, and other marketing and content initiatives
Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field with at least 2 years related professional/technical experience relevant experience working with websites and web-based applications. Plus:
- Knowledge of principles, procedures and standards of integrated website structure, technologies and design (web servers; content management systems; programming languages; design programs; etc.)
- Specific experience with Drupal 7/8 and PHP is required.
Some knowledge of American history would also be helpful, but is not necessary.
IMPORTANT WORDS OF CAUTION, AND OPPORTUNITY
It is important for future employees or consultants to understand that over the next few months, this company will have very modest resources. Primary revenues for our two magazines stopped after we were forced to end print publication in 2012. We have modest income from grants, digital books, and other sources, but times right now are lean.
>However, for the right person, this could be a career-building opportunity. We have received one foundation grant and others have expressed interest in providing financial support for the three initiatives we have described, and we expect that the company will experience significant growth over the next three years. You would be in on the "ground floor"!
HOW TO APPLY
If you think this could be right for you, send a resume and cover letter through Craigslist. Tell us why you are right for the challenges. We are looking for an ambitious innovator who wants to create, and be part of something big.
The letter should include your requested hourly rate. If you need compensation appropriate for a CTO, we suggest you apply elsewhere.
Edwin Grosvenor, President
American Heritage Publishing Co.
PO Box 1488
Rockville, MD 20849
No phone calls please.
1200 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20026