QR Code Link to This Post
Smart Wires (www.smartwires.com) has developed an innovative technology that the utility companiesÂ need now. We deploy our solutions against problems that truly matter for the transmission system: changing generation, congestion, critical reliability issues and more. Smart Wires' technology is unique in its ability to provide utility companies broad system awareness and control.
We are a fast-moving team that has come together to revolutionize the energy industry. We have a technology that is truly game changing and now we have to get the whole world to pay attention to the new reality that this technology can deliver. We have deep resumes and experience in renewable energy and we fully understand how this product changes nearly everything about the power grids all over the globe.
We are a still a young company yet we have unusually committed investors and vast resources to do this right. Our first product, the PowerLine GuardianÂ®, was developed over many years after being invented in the lab of a high-profile university, and is now installed at several of the largest utilities in the United States and Europe. We are thrilled at the response to the PowerLine Guardian and our future product pipeline from customers, regulators, and industry experts and are now in high gear as we continue to find additional partners and applications for our products across the globe.
We are carefully engineering our culture to attract stunning performers who thrive in a "Freedom and Responsibility" culture. This isn't a culture of tight management, but focused instead on hiring great quarterbacks capable of managing important missions with fairly limited direction and supervision.Â We give you the resources you need and know that you are hard-wired to deliver nothing but truly excellent results. This is an atmosphere of rapid professional development and incredible learning. Our goal is to place superstars in every role so that we rely and trust each other to do our jobs brilliantly, knowing that this strategy ensures a fun, exciting workplace and nearly guarantees commercial success.
We are looking for a Customer Systems Integration Engineer to join the Customer Support and Installation (CSI) team. The CSI team is a creative and ambitious team that is responsible for integrating Smart Wires' software and hardware products onto our customers' IT systems and power grids. As a Customer Systems Integration Engineer, you will be responsible for building and supporting relationships with technical stakeholders at our customers and partners--major utilities in the United States, Europe, and Australia.
During the first 3-6 months, you will have an opportunity to learn from brilliant technical leaders at Smart Wires. Then you'll be tasked with bringing cutting-edge software to utilities that will change how power grids are operated around the world. You will support end-to-end projects--from order initiation through use case testing--ensuring successful customer installations. For existing deployments, you will identify, diagnose, and support the resolution of challenges related to software and communications systems.
In addition to having remarkable core IT skills, the Customer Systems Integration Engineer must have customer focus in their DNA and do whatever it takes to achieve outstanding results for our customers. Qualified candidates are optimistic, energetic, excellent communicators, and thrive when working as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
This is a permanent full-time position that will report to the Manager of CSI. Our preference is for local candidates and those willing to relocate. We do provide relocation support. However, we are open to candidates wanting to work remotely provided you are able to work 4-8 days per month from our Global R&D Center in Union City, CA.
- Support customers' efforts to integrate Smart Wires' products onto their grids and IT systems via electric-utility protocols, such as Inter-control Center Communication Protocol (ICCP), DNP3, IEC 60870, and IEC 61850.
- Manage logistics throughout the software commissioning process, including installation, training, acceptance testing, and use case testing.
- Serve as a primary point of contact with customers throughout the issue resolution cycle; analyze large datasets to support diagnoses of root causes.
- Support ongoing customer technical training; provide input into the development and improvement of training materials and product manuals.
- Develop diagnostic techniques to assess the performance of deployed software.
- Communicate with new customers about Smart Wires' products and services.
- Travel up to 25%, including internationally; must love or learn to love travelling.
Required Skills and Experience
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related technical field.
- At least 3 and up to 10 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated IT talent and passion, as well as communication, organization, presentation, and customer service skills.
- Track record of excellence in collaboration and team-building, as well as proven ability to work independently in a low-supervision, high-ambiguity environment.
- Advanced skills with:
- SQL Server administration
- Windows Server
- Microsoft Excel
- Systems development life cycle (SDLC)
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Remote support applications
Preferred Skills and Experience
Experience with or working knowledge of several of the following:
- Utility Energy Management Systems (EMS)
- Electric transmission at major utilities or transmission owners/operators, in the engineering, operations, and/or planning groups
- NERC CIP requirements and additional electric-utility cybersecurity requirements
- SCADA systems
- Legacy serial protocols
- ICCP, DNP3, IEC 60870, IEC 61850 protocols and customized configurations
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
- R or another data analysis package
- Working with off-shore teams